Youth WRA Indonesia (RAPPI) collaborated with Stream Community (SC) in a Convoy, Campaign and Talkshow activity, To commemorate the Indonesian Youth Day 2011
(by Dina Sintadewi) as posted on http://pitaputihindonesia.wordpress.com/2012/02/15/youth-wra-indonesia-rappi-collaborated-with-stream-community-sc-in-a-convoy-campaign-and-talkshow-activity-to-commemorate-the-indonesian-youth-day-2011/
It was a sunny clear day on Saturday, October 29, 2011 that RAPPI and SC members gathered in BKKBN (National Family Planning & Population Coordinating Board) office parking lot to start the activity. The aim of this activity is to commemorate the Indonesian Youth Day 2011 by doing a convoy, campaign and talkshow about safe motherhood for young generation and to educate young people about safe motherhood and mother’s health, through a Convoy-Campaign-Talkshow “Young Generation in Safe Motherhood”, along the route from Jakarta to Bandung.
The convoy was released by Dr. Ratna Pertiwi Tjaja, as the APPI (WRA Indonesia) Vice Chairperson.
There were more than 20 Streams joined in this activity.
The first stop was at KM 19 Rest Area Jakarta Cikampek Toll road where RAPPI did a soft campaign by disseminating material about APPI and Safe Motherhood to visitors in that area.
Then the convoy trip continued to Bandung. As we arrived at the Blitz Megaplex in Paris van Java mall complex, RAPPI Bandung (West Java) chapter was welcoming us from Jakarta.
The event begins with signing up a guest book, and wearing a white ribbon on each participant’s arm, as a sign of awareness for safe motherhood. Participants were about 50 people, consisting of:
– RAPPI and APPI members
– Honda Stream Comunity members and families
– Public (students, and visitors of the Blitz megaplex, printed media & radio).
Taking a moment to unwind after a few hours journey, participants take a coffee and snacks break.
The event continued at the outdoor area of Blitz Megaplex, begins with welcome speeches by the Chairperson of the Organizing Convoy-Campaign-Talkshow Activities “Young Generation in Safe Motherhood”: Ir. Dina Sintadewi L. Pandi, and by the Chairperson of Stream Community: dr. Mochammad Iqbal, ENT sp then by the chairperson APPI West Java Chapter: drg. Yetty.
Introduction of White Ribbon Alliance Indonesia and Global White Ribbon Alliance, hosted by vice chairperson of APPI: dr. Ratna Tjaja Pertiwi, SKM. She said that White Ribbon Alliance Indonesia is a member of the Global White Ribbon Alliance based in Washington DC. Its members spread in 152 countries and the activity is advocacy and IEC on health and safety concern for maternal and newborn. Also explained about 3 Lates and 4 Toos, namely: Late decision, Late to bring and late to assist labor and delivery, while 4 Toos namely: Too young in giving birth, Too old in giving birth, Too many children, and Too often in giving birth. Young people are expected to participate in “safe motherhood” awareness.
Introduction about RAPPI (Youth White Ribbon Alliance Indonesia) performed as a duet by Rika Yuliastuti, S.Psi and Ejeb Ruhyat, SKM, saying that Youth WRA is now followed by WRA members around the world. They also talked about adolescence problems in daily life and also talked about what RAPPI has been doing so far.
The next speaker: Santi Juwita Soeroto, presented on “Young Generation in Safe Motherhood”. She said that: in line with globalization era and increasingly sophisticated information technology, the life of the younger generation increasingly under threat due to lack of good and right information. Teenagers as young people also prefer to listen to their peers rather than parents or teachers. Therefore, the peergroup is to be given counseling and correct inputs and completed information about adolescent issues that are often encountered in daily life.
The talk show was followed by a guest speaker, a young artist named Melly Manuhutu, a cheerful young model and singer. Melly conveys her personal experience, when building a family and a failure in pregnancy. She did not realize that she was pregnant. She experienced a strong abdominal pain that finally she went to a doctor and checked her condition, she experienced a pregnancy outside of the uterus and can be dangerous if the development of fetus which is not in the uterus can lead to breaks in the way of the uterus and causing of mother’s death. She feels that it is very important to get information and to have knowledge about newly married. She feels very happy with the existence of the White Ribbon Alliance Indonesia (APPI) who spread information and knowledge about health and safety of maternity and childbirth.
The last guest speaker was dr. Niken E. Waluyojati, SpOG (an obstetrician/gynecologist). She explained about the importance of routine examinations by young mothers who would plan a pregnancy after marriage. Her current experience was about her 16 years old patient who was at a-4 week pregnancy and did an abortion by an irresponsible person. The young girl had blood clots that had been too attached in her uterus and to save her life, there was no other way than to lift out her uterus. It was a very sad story that a young girl has to face her future life.
In the questions and answers session, a question like when to begin introducing sex education to children was asked and also other questions around who has to be concerned about safe motherhood healthy mother’s issues were asked. The event continued with quiz and game sessions
Then followed by reading the “RAPPI & SC Declaration in Bandung”, that RAPPI and SC are committed to continue to develop 4 stages that support Safe Motherhood and Newborns, with the hope that this can be implemented consistently and continuously, which are:
- Building awareness should be disseminated to all levels of society
- Adding knowledge about reproductive health, family planning, health and safety of maternal and childbirth
- Caring attitude towards Safe Motherhood and Newborn which is everyone’s responsibility. Executing behavior as expected. Involvement and willingness to be volunteered as RAPPI members, and donors to support the achievement of the mission of Safe Motherhood and Newborn.
- Certificate of Appreciation were handed to the speakers: Melly Manuhutu, dr. Niken E. Waluyojati, SpOG. Ibu Pandi as APPI advisor thanked and appreciated to the Stream Community, and in the delivery of Certificate of Appreciation to the Chairman of the Stream Community Indonesia, dr. Mochammad Iqbal, SpTHT-KL, Ibu Pandi said that starting from today Stream Community has been a partner of the White Ribbon Alliance Indonesia, as well as being a member of the Global White Ribbon Alliance. Stream Community will continue to support APPI’s activities.
The expected result was hoped to be achieved after the event ends are:
- Increasing the role of adolescent communities / young people in safe motherhood.
- Increasing involvement of peer teen /young people in RAPPI activities in the local environment.
- Increasing understanding of peer teen /young people about the importance of safe motherhood.
- The sustainability of society awareness of the importance of Safe Motherhood.